BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, February 8, 2010

Day Thirty-Eight, Late Night Treat!

I wasn't able to fall asleep until 430 in the morning last night.  I actually took this as a good sign because when I sleep all day and night, I know my body is trying to heal.  Being awake all night meant my body had gotten enough sleep.  So I tried not to get frustrated, watched a movie, and worked on paperwork until I finally was able to fall asleep.

I woke up around 830am on Sunday and was able to get everyone up and going.  I knew Tim was planning on working on a project for work until our date.  I realized quickly that the lack of sleep was taking its toll.  I was too tired to do anything but not tired enough to go back to sleep.  So I called my respite provider and asked her to come in early before our date to help with the kids and she got here around 1030am.  I was able to sit and read books with the kids and do a load of laundry, but I was pretty exhausted.  I went to lay down after lunch, still I had no luck falling asleep.

Around 3pm Tim was ready to go on the date.  There was literally no food in the house and Tim hadn't eaten and neither had I so we decided to go to a salad bar.  I was sure I'd be able to get a piece of grilled chicken and veggies without dressing.  I was wrong.  There was no chicken so I put some tomatoes on my plate and grabbed a bottle of water.  We sat down to eat and I was miserable.  I got up and went to the dessert section and came back with a frozen yogurt sundae...it was huge and it looked delicious!  I sat down with it and Tim started laughing.  He let me take one bite and then proceeded to sprinkle pepper all over it.  We both started laughing and I thanked him for helping me avoid temptation.

When we came home that evening after the movie, I realized I hadn't done my gift for the day.  After the kids were in bed I grabbed Dakota and said, "We are going to get Valentines..."  He has a Valentine party at his homeschooling program this week and I thought it would be fun to go out just the two of us for my gift.  He was thrilled and kept repeating how much he loves "our dates alone".  We found some Valentines and candies that he loved and then he informed me he didn't eat dinner.  I asked him why and he said our respite provider had mixed the veggies in the mac and cheese and proceeded to make gagging noises.

There was a McDonalds right in the Walmart and he said, "I know you are going to say 'no' because it's not healthy, but can we get something to eat at McDonalds?"  And then I said "sure".  He was shocked...I then told him, "I like to surprise you."  He replied that I surprise him quite often and we both laughed.  It's not that I never let them go to McDonalds, but it is less than once a month for sure.  I realized I was an abnormal parent when Abigail at three years old couldn't identify "french fries" for her teacher and I informed the teacher Abigail had never seen french fries before.  You could say, she displayed a look of shock.  Don't feel bad for Abbey...she has now been to McDonalds a couple of times and is no longer a french fries virgin!

We chit chatted while Dakota enjoyed his "Mighty Kids Meal" (as he is too big for "Happy Meals")...this happened in the past six months.  I told Dakota how my mom, his Yaiya, used to take me out really late to McDonalds and I loved it.  She worked a lot and really late into the night, so sometimes, way after bedtime, she just grabbed me and my brother and we went.  McDonalds was the only place open that late at night in our small town.  She always got a Big Mac w/ fries, Diet Pepsi, and an apple pie for dessert.  Dakota really enjoyed hearing that story :-).

0 comments: